Cleanmgr+ was introduced on January 29, 2019 in the first beta version 0.0.5. The final version followed on the 25th of february.
Today, I'm introducing the first major release v1.0.1 with two new cleanup features in the Disk Cleanup data set.
- System Hibernation file
- System OS (Windows 10) Compression/Uncompression
The hibernation file (hiberfil.sys) can still take up a large amount of space on your hard drive. To disable hibernation in Windows, you have to go into Power Options and Change the plan settings. You can’t delete the Hibernation fle from the File Explorer (Hidden in root directory of the System Drive).
If you do not use Hibernation mode, and instead prefer to shut down your system at the end of the day, you can lose the file and your system won’t suffer for it. You will need admin rights to delete the hibernation file. Cleanmgr+ will delete the hibernation file but it will also disable hibernate mode. That’s the only way to get rid of the file.
The NTFS file system on Windows 10 includes a compression feature. With Windows 10, Microsoft has moved away from the recovery partition altogether. For space savings options Microsoft introduces a compression tool which goes by the name Compact OS. This is a new mechanism that compresses all the installation files and preinstalled applications, letting you run Windows 10 from a compressed environment, reducing the footprint and freeing up space.
- To verify that your system is not already compressed, use the (individual) Preview function in Cleanmgr+. Therefore right-click on Compress OS Installation > Preview
- To reduce the size of Windows 10 and apps and compress the NTFS Drive, right-click on Compress OS Installation > Cleanup
- You can also undo the compression and revert the changes using the Undo Compression function in the Description window of Cleanmgr+. Therefore click on Compress OS Installation > Undo compression.
Find the full list of new features below.
Changelog: (compiled at February 20/2019)
- Added support for Hibernation file in Disk Cleanup data set (Space calculation for this data set is disabled by default as long as the data set is unchecked)
- Added support for Windows 10 OS Compression/Uncompression in Disk Cleanup data set
- Optimized support for System Error Memory Dump Files
- Optimized support for Temporary Files
- Optimized ItemCheck events
- Minor UI Improvements
- Minor bug fixes
All Release notes can also be viewed here.
More Infos about Cleanmgr+
- Microsoft is retiring the legacy Disk Cleanup tool "cleanmgr.exe", Mirinsoft is replacing it with Cleanmgr+
- Goodbye Cleanmgr , welcome Cleanmgr+ A replacement for the classic Windows Disk Clean-up