Debotnet is a free and portable tool for controlling Windows 10's many privacy-related settings and keep your personal data private.
The Windows 10 default privacy settings leave a lot to be desired when it comes to protecting you and your private information. Whenever I set up a new computer or update a current setup for my family or job, I always carefully go through the privacy settings for each install, making sure to lock it down to make it as private as possible.
Windows 10 has raised several concerns about privacy due to the fact that it has a lot of telemetry and online features, which send your data (sensitive and not) to Microsoft and can't be disabled. Most of it seems pretty legit stuff when telemetry is set to basic. If you don't trust them, Debotnet can help you to prevent Windows 10 from sending your data to Microsoft.
The most important features at a glance
- Disable telemetry and online features, which send your data (sensitive and not) to Microsoft
- Choose which unwanted functions you wish to disable
- Uninstall Windows 10’s Built-in Apps
- Debotnet will show you what it's doing. You have full control, because the executing code can be viewed in a simple text editor
- Debug mode. E.g. the Test mode lets you see which values are twisted in registry or commands executed
- Simple scripting engine for adding custom privacy rules
- Scripts updated on GitHub
- Modern and familiar UI, with template support
- Small footprint. No installation required.
- 100% Free Software (License)
Debotnet's main tools and database are not hard-coded. It is based upon simple
.DS1 files which define exactly which registry keys, files and or/services should be disabled, blocked, deleted etc. and preserved by the program.
Here is an example of a script file (plain text files saved as .DS1 file type)
[Info] ID=Disable Telemetry Ver=1.0 Desc=As you use Windows 10, Microsoft will collect usage information. All its options are available in Settings -> Privacy - Feedback and Diagnostics. There you can set the options "Diagnostic and usage data" to Basic, Enhanced and Full.\n\nTo disable Telemetry and Data Collection in Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro, run the following script. Dev=Mirinsoft DevURL=https://www.mirinsoft.com WinVer=Compatible with Windows 10 Evaluation=Recommended EvaluationColor=009e5e [Code] Task1=Run,net stop DiagTrack,STDOUT Task2=Run,net stop dmwappushsvc,STDOUT Task3=Try,query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection" /v AllowTelemetry,STDOUT File1=Reg,add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection" /v AllowTelemetry /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f,STDOUT
Debotnet requires Windows 10 including both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.